A Full-Service Historic Preservation Consulting Firm serving all of New York State and the Greater Northeast


National Clothing Co. Department Store

Before Rear Addition
After Rear Addition
Lobby Before Rehab
Lobby After Rehab
1st Floor Before Rehab
1st Floor After Rehab
1st Floor Before Rehab
1st Floor After Rehab
4th Floor Before Rehab
4th Floor After Rehab

National Clothing Co. Department Store

155-159 East Main Street, Rochester, NY

  • Date Built: 1924-1954
  • Total QREs: $16,567,000
  • Total HTCs: $8,283,500, Federal; $8,283,500 State.

Preservation Studios’ Role:

Preservation Studios completed the Part One, Two, and Three of the Historic Preservation Certification Applications as well as amending the National Register nomination.

History:

The National Clothing Co. Department Store was built in three different phases between 1924 and 1954. The Hotel Eggleston occupied the site before being demolished to make way for the current building. The five-story building with the sixth floor penthouse was the first building to be completed in 1924. In 1938 the company expanded their footprint on East Main Street with a small, two-story addition that mimicked all the details of the main building, but on a smaller scale. Finally, in 1954 the last addition was made along East Main Street, mirroring the addition from 1938 exactly and adding a mansard roof linking the two structures as one.

Originally the building served as a department store, built by the Rochester-based, National Clothing Company. They remained in the building until 1970 and the building was then converted to an office. Suspended ceilings were added throughout every floor, the originally open arcade was enclosed for a new lobby, and all the original windows were replaced with the exception of the original transom glass above the original storefronts. During its time as an office building new partition walls were added on each floor, perimeter walls were furred out, and all original interior fixtures were removed. Most of the original wall and ceiling features and finishes remain intact, but in deteriorated condition behind the added walls. Each floor was primarily an open floor plate, punctuated by structural columns. Small offices and new rooms were added on each floor in the 1970s that divided up the open space.

The building was rehabilitated for use as a Hilton Garden Inn, which included an anchor restaurant on the first floor and a four story addition at the rear of the building. Dropped ceilings were removed through much of the first floor and the historic plasterwork hiding above was restored as part of the rehabilitation. A large atrium as cut into the center of the building from the basement through the roof to provide natural light to the previously dark middle portion.


Related Works